The School of Education of the University of Dar es Salaam through its Department of Educational Foundations, Management and Lifelong Learning will host an International Conference to commemorate 50 years of Adult Education in Tanzania. The conference will bring together stakeholders of adult education from within and beyond Tanzania to reflect on its status since its declaration in 1970. The conference marks an important milestone in the roadmap towards reinvigorating the glory of Tanzania in the field of adult education.
- Objectives and Outcomes of the Conference
This conference aims to deliberate on how to renew national and international momentum for adult education in Tanzania. The conference will offer the opportunity to articulate adult education in harmony with various national and international policies such as Tanzania Development Vision 2025, Sustainable Industrial Development Policy for Tanzania (SIDP 1996-2020) and Sustainable Development Goals.
- Conference Themes and Sub-themes
These themes and sub-themes give a range of areas which conference participants can address in their presentations:
- Reminiscences of adult education in Tanzania
- Nyerere on adult education and development.
- Preparation of leaders and adult educators.
- The national drive against illiteracy.
- Mass education campaigns and awareness raising.
- Adult education in the globalized world
- Harnessing ICT for community development.
- Expanding learning opportunities through Open and Distance Learning.
- Ethics and moral education for the youth and adults.
- E-farming and productivity.
- Optimizing the benefits of adult learning
- Adult education and the building of an industrial economy.
- Vocational Education and the role of Folk Development Colleges (FDCs).
- Entrepreneurship education for the youth and adults.
- Adult education and women empowerment.
- Towards inclusive and equitable quality education for all
- Learning opportunities for marginalized and disadvantaged groups and communities.
- Innovative approaches to teaching youths and adults.
- Gender issues in education.
- Adult education in higher learning institutions.
- Comparative and international adult Education
- Adult learning in a comparative perspective.
- Country case studies.
- Comparative adult education research.
- Adult education for multiculturalism and diversity building.
- Conference Outputs and Results
- Conference proceedings.
- PED journal - Special issue.
- Technical report.
- Book on Adult Education
- Expected Participants
The organizing committee invites participants from diverse backgrounds related to education in general and adult learning and education in particular, participants from public and private educational institutions, governmental organizations, NGOs, CBOs, and others. Specifically, participants will include the academicians, researchers, practitioners, government and political leaders and students.
- Conference Activities
The Conference will involve the following activities:
- Keynote presentations from distinguished scholars and practitioners in adult education. Presenters are sought and selected from within and beyond Tanzania
- Paper presentations in parallel sessions
- Panel discussions
- Launching of Master of Education in Adult Education and Community Development programme: MED (AECD).
- Partnership and Sponsorship for the Conference
We are calling upon strategic partners to support the conference through various sponsorship options. All Sponsors shall be provided with formal visibility through their institutional / business logos and acknowledgement at the opening and closing of the conference.
- Important Dates
- Conference date: 24th - 26th March 2021.
- Papers for the conference: Abstract submission deadline: 25/02/2021
- Notice of acceptance: 28/02/2021
- Final paper/Poster submission: 15/03/2021
- Registration Dates and Fees
- a) Registration dates
Registration Deadline: 16/03/2021
- b) Registration fees
- Students TSh 100,000.00
- Others TSh 200,000.00
- Students $100.00
- Others $150.00
- Payments and Bank Details
All payments should be made through bank account. Bank Details are as follows:
- a) Tanzanian Shillings
Bank Name: National Bank of Commerce
Account Name: Faculty of Education
Account Number: 040103001424
Swift Code: NLCBTZTX OR
- b) Foreign currency
Bank Name: National Bank of Commerce (NBC)
Account Name: School of Education
Account Number: 040105002286
Switch Code: NLCBTZTX
- Keynote Speakers
Ambassador Dr Nicholas Kuhanga
- Elinami Swai (Open University of Tanzania)
- Wan Xiulan (Zhejiang Normal University)
- Heribet Hinzen (Former Director, DVV)
- Elifas Bisanda (Open University of Tanzania)
- George Openjuru (Gulu University)
- Frauke Heinze (DVV International)
- Location and Venue:
The Conference is expected to be held in Dar es Salaam at the University of Dar es Salaam (along Sam Nujoma Road), New Library Conference Hall.
- Conference leaders:
Prof William A. L. Anangisye
(Vice Chancellor, University of Dar es Salaam) Telephone: +255 (0) 222 410 500
Dr Eugenia Kafanabo (Dean, School of Education)
Mobile phone: +255 714 719 138
Prof Eustella Bhalalusesa
Mobile phone: +255 754 573 396
Assistant Conference Convenor:
Dr Blackson Kanukisya
Mobile: +255 735 310 061
Dr Philipo L. Sanga
Mobile: +255 789 569 075